- 1 Lb Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- 1 Small White Onion, Diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 (28 oz) Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Oregano, Chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Basil, Chopped
- 4 Medium Zucchinis
- 1 ½ Cup Skim Milk Ricotta
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin strips (about 1/8 inch thick). Add salt to the strips and set aside. Let sit for about 10 minutes and blot any excess moisture with a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the onions and garlic over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the meat to the saucepan and cook until brown. Drain excess fat.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, oregano, basil and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20-30 minutes until thick. Stir frequently. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg.
- In a 9×13, greased baking dish, spread 1/2 cup of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Spread ricotta cheese mixture over the zucchini, then top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese (set aside one cup to use at the end) and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up. The last layer should be zucchini topped with sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling.
- Remove the foil and increase temperature to 450°F. Continue to bake another 15 minutes.
- Let stand about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.