Skillet Cornbread with Jalapenos
- 1 Cup Ground Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flower
- 2 Tsps. Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp. Baking Soda
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 3 Tbsps. Honey
- 2 Large Eggs
- 8 Tbsps. Butter, Melted
- 1-2 Fresh Jalapeno Peppers or Habanero Peppers, Seeds and Ribs Removed, Diced
- Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1-15.25 Oz Can Whole Kernel Corn, Drained
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place a 9-inch cast iron skillet in the oven to heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Whisk in the milk, buttermilk, honey, and eggs. Next, whisk in the melted butter, leaving about 1 tablespoon to coat the skillet later.
- Stir in jalapeños (or habanero peppers), cheese, and corn.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and reduce the temperature to 375°F.
- Coat the bottom and sides of the skillet with the remaining butter.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and sprinkle any leftover cheese and pepper slices on top.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.