Chicken Pot Pie with Calabaza
- 2- 9 in. Refrigerated Pie Crusts
- 1 Lb. Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast
- ½ Cup Butter
- ½ Cup Onion, Diced
- ½ Cup Celery, Diced
- 1 Cup Carrots, Sliced
- 1 Cup Calabaza, Peeled and Cut into 1 in. Chunks
- 1 Tsp. Garlic, Minced
- 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Tsp. Salt
- ¼ Tsp. Black Pepper
- ½ Tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 ¾ Cups Chicken Broth
- 2/3 Cup Whole Milk
- ½ Cup Frozen Peas
- ½ Cup Frozen Corn
- In a large pan, bring water to a boil. Add chicken breast and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside. Cooking times may vary depending on the thickness.
- Once the chicken is cooked, shred and put to the side.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in onions, celery, carrots, calabaza, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt, black pepper, thyme, chicken broth, and milk. Cook and whisk until bubbling and thickened.
- Next, stir in chicken, peas, and corn. Remove from heat and set aside. Let mixture cool a bit before adding to the pie crust.
- Add the pie crust to an ungreased, 9 in glass pie dish.
- Spoon mixture into crust-lined dish. Top with the second crust, flute and seal. With a small knife, cut a few slits into the top crust so that steam can escape.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.