Smart Start 2018
Ready to take on 2018 and meet your health and diet goals this year? Skipping eating occasions may sometimes seem like a better option than eating a full-calorie meal, but it’s not always a good idea. Your body needs those nutrients you are missing with a skipped meal to keep on moving. Skipping meals can also slow your metabolism, which your body will most definitely NOT appreciate. Eating smaller, healthier meals throughout the day is a better option if you are looking to shed a few of those pounds you might have gained in December. Oh, and you also want to make sure you don’t forget your daily exercise routine!
We are all very busy nowadays but there are ways to still eat healthy (and eat something) on the go. Smoothies are a great way to pack your fruits, vegetables, and proteins into a meal replacement or healthy snack.
Check out some of our recommendations, tips, and a full work-week of smoothie recipes below.
- Start with the liquid. Something like water, dairy milk (low-fat or fat free),or non-dairy milk (almond milk or soy milk).
- Next add the protein. Try a nut butter, low fat yogurt, tofu, protein powder, or beans.
- Don’t forget your healthy fat like avocado, cashews, walnuts, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, or flax seed.
- Add your veggies. You should have more veggies in your smoothie than fruit. Use veggies like kale, spinach, beets, celery, cucumber, or other greens.
- Add your fruit. Bananas, berries, oranges, mangoes will do nicely.
- FINALLY, add some ice cubes or use frozen fruit instead of fresh to make it cold and blend.
A Few Other Tips for the Newbies
- Use fruits that are lower in sugar like berries and apples.
- Try using more veggies than fruit so that you make sure you are packing in a ton of nutrients and a little less sugar.
- Don’t forget the healthy protein! It will help make you feel fuller for longer.
- Watch your portion sizes. The smoothies still have calories so there can be a thing as too much!
Good Start Smoothie
Very Berry Smoothie
Get Your Greens Smoothie
Get Up and Go Smoothie